In DC, MD and VA, the weather is cooling off. Everyone starts staying indoors but still longs for summer.
How do you beat those winter blues?
Throw an indoor beach party!
Luau parties are great to have year-round. There are plenty of party rentals in Maryland, DC and Virginia that can help make your event a huge success.
Ask your guests were asked to wear Hawaiian attire from head to toe. Captain’s hats, sunglasses, tie-dyed shirts, swim trunks, and Hawaiian shirts and dresses are always a welcome change from drab winter colors.
Put a sign on the door that says, “No shoes, No shirt, No Problem!” and as guests arrive, welcome them with a lei. Have a tiki bar where guests can come and get an umbrella drink (because it's not a luau party without a tiki bar!!!) Play Beach Boys music - it will get everyone into the Aloha Spirit. Move furniture to accommodate beach towels, umbrellas, and an inflatable pool filled with plastic balls for the kids to “swim” in.
It’s hard to find summer paraphernalia in the middle of winter, but there are many online options such as Oriental Trading where they have a great Luau selection - things like scored table-runners, grass skirts to go around the tables, tiki torches, and leis. You can probably find beach balls, sand buckets, and pinwheels at Walmart.
- Oriental Trading decor
- Beach towels
- Beach balls
- Beach umbrellas
- Homemade signs that said, “No shoes, no shirt, no problem!” and “Reserved for…”
- Beach Boys CD playing for ambiance
- Swimming pool filled with plastic balls
- A Hawaiian lei for each guest
- Sand buckets and shovels
Nothing beats the flavor of the grill, and why should you miss out just because it’s winter? Pull out all of your favorite summer recipes and get grillin’! Our Indoor Beach Party menu consisted of:
Grilled beef and chicken kebabs with red and green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and pineapple.
Fruit kebabs with pineapple, grapes, kiwi, cantaloupe, and bananas.
Chips and salsa (Place the chips in a sand bucket.)
Strawberry Spinach Salad from here, an ultimate summer fave!
Ocean Jello (you can find a lot of variations on the Internet, try blue raspberry jello, Swedish fish, and gummy sharks in a clear cup.
Beach cupcakes: Make cupcakes and icing from the recipe of your choice. Add blue food coloring to the icing. Roll half of the cupcake in graham cracker crumbs to look like sand. Add a parasol and a candy beach towel (use “Rips” sour candy strips found in the candy aisle, or Fruit By the Foot or fruit roll-ups would work great too). You can use Teddy Grahams to look like surfers, swimmers, or beach bums.
- Hula hoop contest
- The limbo
- Silent beach ball volleyball- players sit in a circle and must be silent while the ball is passed back and forth to random players. You can pass it volleyball style or just throw it. If a player laughs, talks, or drops a catch-able pass, they are out. The goal is to be the last one standing/sitting.
- Fishing- for kids, or adults too if you like. Get a long stick and string to resemble a fishing pole. You can stick a magnet on the end of the string and have kids try to snag laminated fish with paper clips on them, or you can put a clothes pin on the end of the string and have them fish for prizes.
- G-Rated Spin the Bottle. Everyone writes down a sort of “Dare” on a slip of paper, folds it up, and puts it in a canning jar or other type of bottle. For example, “Stand barefoot in the snow for 1 full minute” or “Drink a tablespoon of a special concoction (usually a pretty nasty combination of pantry and fridge items!).” Players sit in a circle. With a lid on the bottle, spin the bottle and whoever it points to, that person opens the bottle and picks a paper. They must complete the dare!
If you just can’t get to the beach, bring the beach life to your own home. An indoor beach party is guaranteed to bring those “Good, good, good, good vibrations.”